I finished the 1860s chemise for HSF #11 right before the deadline, but have been utterly swamped with work and class and, well, life that it's taken a while to post about it. Sorry!
It came out really well, actually, and looks like a chemise of that period should (thank you gathering techniques), even though I only used a few rectangles and a couple triangles to make it. It was harder to do it that way than to cut it to size/shape, but I think I might like it better.
The final chemise (front / back)... Sleeve position is not accurate for an evening gown (see picture below), but it can also be worn this way.
The Challenge: HSF #11: Squares, rectangles, triangles
Fabric: unbleached cotton, 2 yds
Pattern: self-designed based on photographs of extant garments and drawings from the period
Year: 1860s
Notions: thread
How historically accurate is it? Since I couldn't find an exact match for it, but since it uses correct fabric and has the right neckline and body shape, I'd have to say 50%.
Hours to complete: about 5
First worn: only for photos
Total cost: maybe $3? I bought the remainder of a bolt for $5, and there were 4 yards on it... plus a good portion of a spool of thread
And the final result, worn with corset (bought via etsy) and hoops (from costume "stash" / inherited in the 90s):
Here's a few close-ups of the outside (front / back) of the chemise:
...and of the gathering I did on the inside (front / back - the back is pleated):




No comments:
Post a Comment