Well, I'm almost done, as of tonight. Not bad. :-)
After sewing the skirt on later Monday night, the gown graced my dress form until Wednesday night, when I cut and pinned the bodice front, a small bit of robing on the shoulder, and the sleeves onto the dress. Used up a full box and a half of pins doing that, so pinning the en fourreau back in place will have to wait until I've sewn everything else (which I'll do tomorrow). It took a while, too... since I wanted to get the pattern to match perfectly on the front, with the stripe going over the shoulders the same way, too.
Here's a few progress photos...
One reason that I might actually be done with this on time: the tablecloth's edges were already hemmed, which I am shamelessly taking advantage of for my sleeve edges and bodice edges and skirt hem.
I pinned the sleeves in first before pinning the bodice fronts on. Not sure how period that is, but it seemed to work really well. I think the sleeves for this one may have come out better than for the cranberry...
Modeled on the dress form... The bodice doesn't close because the dress form isn't wearing the stays...
I'll take a better picture later, in better light, I promise.
So far, not bad for a second first attempt; not great, but not bad.
I'm really enjoying this project... especially the challenge of using the tablecloth. I've heard tell of 'curtain-alongs' - has anyone else ever done a 'tablecloth-along'?
It's also interesting because the fabric is so old (older than me by at least 10 years if not more) that it is stiff and almost brittle in places (which made the pleating kinda fun since it didn't want to un-learn a pleat). Quite the different experience than the cranberry that had newer fabric which was also a tad thinner. If I can find some more time this summer, I may just go hunting around in the attic again to try and find the curtains and make a petticoat to go with the overgown. At this rate, though, since I'll be taking another class this summer and still working, not sure I'll have the time... So, I will prolly wear it with either the cranberry petticoat or else will need to make a plain off-white one (since the fabric is no longer a true white, but has yellowed a bit - thankfully evenly).
Next steps... 1) sew everything that's pinned; 2) pin and sew the en fourreau back; 3) if have time (and fabric), make engageants for sleeves (perhaps?). So close, but not quite there yet :-)




No comments:
Post a Comment